...do more than exist, live...live, love, and enjoy life

Sunday, 29 January 2017

The Counsel of Lovely Little Fellows




I was sitting in their counsel again...

In the counsel of this lovely little fellows of mine. 


Their perfectly delighted faces paid half of my life...the way they lit up!

The little twinkles in their eyes...any time they had something important to say...

The little chuckles and giggles that escaped from their small lips, when they found a certain concept rather intriguing...

They expressed themselves very passionately and sincerely, laughing with deep warmth and inviting candidness...


We talked about beauty today...it was just a topic in passing.

I had been telling them the classic story of this lady, in a contest toward becoming queen, who had access to the best beauty products and therapies that this world could offer, but she asked for nothing more than what was offered to her…

And all of a sudden my curiosity was tickled; I wanted to hear their opinions on that.

The purity and innocence in their opinions? I am yet to marvel as much as I did today!

12, 11, 10, 9...or thereabout. Most of them fell in that age bracket. But what does a 10 year old know about beauty? You ask...

"The boys won't talk to you without your make-up, they say you're ugly, but once you put on your make-up? Every one of them wants to talk to you." One 10 year old told me when I asked why she uses make-up. She was the only child in that class that did, and so, naturally I was curious.

My heart broke into two distinct halves...that a child would not be let to be just that: a child. Where did she get such opinions? When was her lovely little mind burdened with such cares?

But their opinions deeply mattered to me; I wanted to know what was on their minds, and so I probed further, and listened with keen enthusiasm;

"I don't like it when the girls look like the flag on their faces; green lips and red eye lids, white cheeks and black eyebrows." he then laughed deeply as he made funny faces, and I laughed along, but took mental notes.

The little man stated further, “Make-up destroys your face…it burns, and distorts your face!”

Another little man next to him nodded in agreement.

“But how would they know, they are just boys! They obviously never use make-up” one little lady protested in response. 


Difficult questions were asked;
"Do you think there are ugly people?"
To my relief all except one said, "no!" It was one, loud chorus of an answer...

Ultimately? The bench came up with its verdict:

"Girls? You are very, very beautiful the way you were made...fearfully and wonderfully made. Make-up does not make you beautiful, because you already are...stunning, fierce, pretty! Very pretty." they smiled the smile of belief, as I smiled the smile of deep heart satisfaction.

"Make-up is ok though, as an art form, or way of expression, or as a form of style...not as a means to beauty." my own heartfelt and sincere words...

In my head though I wondered, how I'd find different words to express this truth to them ever so often...to teach them how to speak the truth to themselves which is: that they are always enough, just the way they are.

...which nails would I use, to nail this into their hearts and minds,

...how would I code this truth and encrypt it into their lovely, little hearts?

“You know if you were in that contest? The king would have picked you!” One little girl said to me…and my heart melted! My face became one blob of redness…I managed though to recover just in time, and whisper, “thank you!” with a smile, hehaa!

pre-teenagers…

preparing to face a world of serious decisions...

Today there was laughter and giggles...

Candid opinions and answers...

So many things were said between us today...

And I couldn’t help but think to self, “the footprints that we make in the sand of time? Are followed closely by smaller, little footprints. Are my footprints headed toward the right direction? Are they worth following?” 

Are yours worth following?

No comments:

Post a Comment